A Look Back at 2022 and Goals for 2023
Published Jan 2nd, 2023
It was a big year for my career in 2022! Here are some of the highlights:
- In April, I reduced my freelancing from 5 to 2 days a week and made the switch to full-time indie hacking in September. You can read more about the decision in this Twitter thread.
- I grew my business, ExportData, significantly, with a 90% increase in revenue, 3x growth in traffic, and a jump in domain rating from 21 to 33.
- Every feature I built for ExportData was requested by a customer at some point, which was a great validation of my product development process.
- Had plenty of time to work with Hotwire ⚡️.
- I launched my personal website - ziku.dev, and hired my first Ruby on Rails intern in December.
Personal / Fitness 🏃
In 2022, I made some great progress in my personal and fitness goals:
- I managed to stay smoke-free all year, which was a big accomplishment for me. 🚭
- I finished InvisAlign treatment and finally got my perfect smile.
- I spent the year between 12%-17% body fat, with the help of Eric Helms’s book, The Muscle & Strength Pyramid. I also tracked my food intake with MyFitnessPal for about 4 months, which helped me get into the best shape of my life.
While there were many successes in 2022, I also had some setbacks:
- I was rejected from the TinySeed Europe program and the AWS Lofts Startup accelerator.
- My investments in cryptocurrency didn’t go as planned, and I lost 90%+ of my portfolio. While it was a financial setback, I learned a valuable lesson to focus on areas where I have much more expertise, such as Ruby on Rails, SaaS, SEO, and software engineering.
- I didn’t succeed in launching another SaaS product, but I am still in progress on this goal.
2023 Goals 🎯
As I look ahead to 2023, I have set some ambitious goals for myself:
- Reach $20k MRR across my businesses.
- Build a larger Twitter audience - my goal is to grow my account to 2k followers. I want to try syndicating larger posts to LinkedIn.
- Write quarterly goals and keep myself accountable.
- Launch another SaaS product. Currently in progress. 🚧
- Launch my first info product. (Small bet)
- Incorporate consulting services to my personal website.
- Write 4 tech blog posts.
- Attend Railsconf and/or The Rails SaaS Conference.
Personal / Fitness 🏃
- Follow a schedule of two cycles of 4 months of gaining followed by 1 month of cutting, with the goal of adding 8kg of mass while maintaining less than 15% body fat.
- Improve my exercise routine. I have a set of 12.5kg, 15kg, 17.5kg, and 20kg dumbbells at home, but I may need to incorporate the gym on Saturdays to target certain muscle groups.
- Have my 2nd burn at Burning Man if everything goes according to the plan.
Thanks for reading! It would mean a lot if you shared this post with others!
August 1, 2023 - 2 min read
January 2, 2023 - 3 min read